September is Hunger Action Month—a time when Food for People, the food bank for Humboldt County, joins the Feeding America nationwide network of food banks in educating our communities about hunger and identifying ways each one of us can help at the local level.
In Humboldt County, hunger is a daily experience for many people. The California Center for Rural Policy reported in their Humboldt County Community Food Assessment that more than 31% of Humboldt County adults experience food insecurity, which jumps to more than 37% in households with children, and most live on fixed incomes or survive paycheck to paycheck.
30 Ways in 30 Days
This Hunger Action Month, Food for People has put together a new "30 Ways in 30 Days" calendar for September 2017, with an idea for learning, teaching or taking action on hunger for every day of the month. Suggestions include:
- Viewing some of our favorite documentary films about food insecurity
- Links to great children's books about hunger;
- Bringing our hunger curriculum into your classroom;
- Creative ideas for donating food to Food for People or a local pantry, including fresh fruits and vegetables right from your garden; and...
#HungerHurts & #HungerHeroes
- Share on Facebook how #HungerHurts you. Like Food for People, Inc. on Facebook and post a selfie with your #HungerHurts statement. Tag Food for People in your post! See examples below.
- Share on Facebook how you or someone you know is a #HungerHero in our community. Like Food for People, Inc. on Facebook and post a selfie telling us how you engage in work toward ending hunger in Humboldt County and/or beyond. Tag Food for People in your post! See examples below.
if you prefer, you can send the photo directly to us and we'll take care of the rest. Email #HungerHurts photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elected representatives express how #HungerHurts the North Coast, Our District, and Our Future:
(From left to right) Congressman Jared Huffman, California State Senator Mike McGuire (with staff), and California Assembly Member Jim Wood
Humboldt County residents voice how #HungerHurts and how #HungerHeroes are taking action:
Looking for past Hunger Action Month activities?
Visit our "A Place at the Table" event page, with a special Humboldt welcome from Jeff Bridges.