Join the Hunger Fighter Challenge!
The Hunger Fighter Challenge is a community food & fund drive supporting Food for People during the holidays. Each year dozens of businesses, organizations, schools, groups, and civic organizations participate in the Hunger Fighter Challenge. You can make a difference in the lives of seniors, children, and families in need during the winter months. Form a Hunger Fighter team!
Help fight hunger for the holidays!
Food for People, the food bank for Humboldt County, serves more than 12,000 people countywide each month - 10% of our County's population.
Did you know?...
- 9 out of 10 individuals served by Food for People are housed and have income but struggle to survive due to low wages, underemployment, and the high cost of housing.
- 1/4 of people served are seniors age 60+.
- 1/3 of people served are children.
How does it work?
1. Sign up your group to be a Hunger Fighter team by filling out the online enrollment form (click here).
2. Now you are ready to start collecting!
- Large boxes or storage totes make great collection bins! Customize your team’s food & fund collection boxes with downloadable signage available from our Hunger Fighter webpage. This includes posters/flyers, a list of most-needed foods, and a range of support materials for your team.
- If you need to borrow a barrel, box, and/or coin bank from us, please let us know in the enrollment form. You can also contact Allison at FoodDrives@foodforpeople.org or (707) 445-3166 x320 to arrange a time to pick these up from our warehouse. We have a limited number of barrels to loan out, and we’ll do our best to assist with unique circumstances.
- Collecting funds? Encourage team members to make direct, secure online donations that get credited to your team’s total. You can create your very own page and ask others to support you, or just simply make a donation that is credited to your team.
3. Encourage team members and friends to support your effort by collecting food and/or funds.
- Some teams implement creative strategies and incentives for bringing in donations.
- Our most needed food items include proteins like peanut butter, canned meats, chili, and stews, plus canned fruits and vegetables.
- Fund donations go even further with Food for People’s wholesale purchasing power—and they’re easier to lift!
4. Drop it off!
- Each time your food collection container fills up, please drop if off at our warehouse at 307 W. 14th St. in Eureka, weekdays between 9:00am & 4:30pm. We’ll do our best to pick up for unique circumstances.
- We will weigh the food and make sure your team gets credit.
- Have financial donations? With wholesale buying power, we can utilize each dollar your team collects to feed many more people. When your team donates funds, the impact is larger—and more convenient to transport! You can drop them off, mail them in, or process securely online at our Hunger Fighter financial donation page http://bit.ly/2xUDIaA.
If you have questions, need materials or information about Food for People, would like to request a Hunger 101 presentation to inspire your group, or anything at all, please don’t hesitate to contact us- we are here to support you.
- Email our Local Food Resources Coordinator at FoodDrives@foodforpeople.org, or
- Call (707) 445-3166 ext. 320
We look forward to working with you this year!
Last Year's Hunger Fighter Teams: American Ag Credit, Area 1 Agency on Aging, Beneficial Living Center, Bounce-A-Palooza, CalTrans, Coast Central Credit Union, Changing Tides Family Services, City of Arcata, Compass Credit Union, Redwood Unit of the Backcountry Horsemen of Northern California, Cuddly Bear, Dell'Arte, DHHS-Social Services, DHHS-Community Wellness Center, Environmental Technology, Garfield Elementary School, GHD, Glen Paul School, HCAR, HIPA-Priority Care, Humboldt County Planning Dept., Hunter, Hunter, & Hunt, LACO, LiFTED Arcata, Mad River Community Hospital, Mikki Moves, Nort Coast Child Support Services, Northcoast Horticulture Supply, Northtown Coffee, Outerspace, Recology, Redwood Curtain Brewery, Satori Wellness, Sequoia Gas Company, Six Rivers Brewery, Six Rivers Charter School, Social Security, St. Joseph's Hospital, State Compensation Insurance Fund, Union Street Charter School, U.S. Dept. of Fish & Wildlife
Hunger Fighter Stars: Each team that donates 500 pounds/dollars or more will have their team photo highlighted in a “Thank You to Hunger Fighter Challenge Teams” TV ad that will air in January and February of 2020 and will be featured in our Food Notes food bank newsletter, which reaches more than 6,500 households and partners!
Resources for your team
The following tools are great for decorating your own food collection containers, providing to Hunger Fighter Challenge team members, or to post in strategic locations at your group's location: