Food for People

The Food Bank for Humboldt County

In Need of Food?

Are you looking for help getting food?

Below you will find basic information about a variety of our food assistance programs. If you'd like additional information on our many programs, explore our list of Programs.


Emergency Food Pantries

Emergency Food pantries provide supplemental groceries to households monthly. We currently have pantries in Arcata, Blue Lake, Bridgeville, Eureka, Ferndale, Fortuna, Garberville, Loleta, McKinleyville, Orick, Scotia, Trinidad, and Willow Creek. Visit our Pantry Network webpage for exact dates and times of distribution. Our Pantry Network Coordinator can be reached directly at (707) 445-3166 ext. 313.

If you'd like additional information about the Eureka Choice Pantry specifically, visit the Choice Pantry webpage.


Mobile Produce Pantry

Our Mobile Produce Pantry is a refrigerated truck that travels to many Humboldt County communities and sets up a free fruit/vegetable farm stand on a monthly schedule. It travels alongside the Humboldt County DHHS mobile outreach vehicle, which offers an array of additional County services. The Mobile Produce Pantry distributes fresh produce in Fortuna, Trinidad, Redway, Rio Dell, Orleans, Weitchpec, Willow Creek, Orick, Hoopa, and Carlotta. For a list of dates and times of monthly distribution, please visit the Mobile Produce Pantry webpage.


Free Farmers' Market-Style Produce Distributions

We host free monthly farmers' markets at 4 locations throughout the county, May through October, in Eureka, Fortuna, Garberville, and Redway. After holding our final produce distributions of the 2014 season in October, this program is currently closed for the winter and will resume in spring 2015. If you'd like additional information about the program, please visit the webpage.


Seniors Only Programs (Age 60+)

Interested in one of our seniors-only (age 60+) distribution days in your community? To learn more about or apply for one of our two senior programs, click here for the CSFP Senior Box program webpage and click here for the Senior Brown Bag program page. Or call (707) 445-3166 extension 303.


Homebound (with medical referral)

We can accept a limited number of homebound clients who are under age 60 and have a medical referral. Click here to visit the Homebound Delivery Program webpage for more information or call (707) 445-3166 extension 303. If you are age 60 or older, please apply for the Senior Brown Bag Program instead, which has a limited number of openings for home delivery.



If you qualify for CalFresh, you can receive an EBT debit card that is automatically reloaded monthly with food money to spend at local stores and farmers' markets. Our Outreach staff can help you apply for the program.

You may qualify for CalFresh if you can answer “yes” to these questions:

  1. Are you or at least one of your children a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident?
  2. Is your household’s GROSS monthly income (before taxes and deductions) within the limits in the chart on our CalFresh Outreach webpage? (If a household member is 60 or older or permanently disabled, then the income can be higher.)

How much could I possibly receive in CalFresh benefits?

The maximum monthly benefit amounts depend on family size and are listed on our CalFresh Outreach webpage.


Ways to apply in Humboldt County:

There are several different options available, to make it as easy as possible to apply.

Apply through Food for People:

  1. Contact Food for People (707) 445-3166 extension 318 or 308, or by email, and set up an appointment to apply at the food bank. We can answer all of your questions and hand in the application for you to the County CalFresh office.
  2. Drop by Food for People on any Monday between 9am and 3pm (our CalFresh drop-in hours--no appointment needed--holidays excluded) to meet with Michael and ask questions about CalFresh, fill out an application, or get help with CalFresh paperwork or reports.
  3. If you prefer, you can fill out our online call-back form, and our CalFresh Outreach staff will call you back to answer questions and help you with any next steps, whether it's applying, helping with questions after you have applied, or if you're just looking for more information.

Apply directly with the County:

  1. Apply at any DHHS Social Services Branch office:
    1. In Eureka: 929 Koster Street. 1-877-410-8809
    2. In Garberville: 727 Cedar Street (707) 923-2759
    3. In Hoopa: 535 Airport Road (530) 625-4251
  2. Apply at any of DHHS' Mobile Engagement Vehicle (MEV) locations in a community near you. Visit our Mobile Produce Pantry page to view the schedule and locations of where the MEV and Mobile Produce Pantry are in the county throughout the month.
  3. Apply online from any computer with internet access at
  4. If these sites are not conveniently located for you, try one of our community partners providing CalFresh application assistance. View the map and list of sites by clicking here.

To learn more about CalFresh, visit our CalFresh Outreach page.


Food for People Program Services Map

The map below shows all of the communities in Humboldt County where we provide services:



Humboldt Community Resource Information

Our partners at Humboldt County Dept. of Health & Human Services and St. Joseph Health coordinate to update and provide a comprehensive list of many different types of resources available in Humboldt County. Click here to view/download/print the resource list. And as an additional tool, the Humboldt Network of Family Resource Centers put all of this information into an online resource search engine. Click here to use the resource list search engine.

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.