Join the Hunger Fighter Challenge!
The Hunger Fighter Challenge is a community food & fund drive supporting Food for People during the holidays. Each year dozens of businesses, organizations, schools, groups, and civic organizations participate in the Hunger Fighter Challenge. You can make a difference in the lives of seniors, children, and families in need during the winter months. Form a Hunger Fighter team!
Help fight hunger for the holidays!
Food for People, the food bank for Humboldt County, serves more than 16,000 people countywide each month - 12% of our County's population.
Did you know?...
- 9 out of 10 individuals served by Food for People are housed and have income but struggle to survive due to low wages, underemployment, and the high cost of housing.
- 1/4 of people served are seniors age 60+.
- 1/3 of people served are children.
How does it work?
Food for People is working to rebuild an upgraded food bank facility that ensures our community has access to nutritious foods and services that address the root causes of hunger and poverty.
Meanwhile, we are continuing to distribute food through the use of temporary leased spaces after the loss of our main facility on 14th St. due to extensive damage from a city sewer inundation. This means we have less space than ever before. We are also continuing to follow safety protocols to keep our staff, volunteers, and clients as safe as possible as COVID-19 continues to surge in our community and beyond. Given all of these challenges, this year we are encouraging our Hunger Fighter teams to donate funds instead of food to help us maximize our ability to meet the needs of our community as safely and effectively as possible.
Donating funds is faster, easier, safer, and more effective:
Faster: With one simple click, Hunger Fighter Teams can make a team page and collect donations online here: http://weblink.donorperfect.com/FoodForPeople/HungerFighter2021
Easier: While we are working to rebuild our 14th Street location, our storage space is at an all-time minimum; funds allow us to purchase wholesale pallets of the most needed foods and distribute them quickly.
Safer: Donating funds online is a contactless way to help and minimize risk of exposure to COVID-19.
More effective: With wholesale buying power, we can use each dollar your team collects to feed many more people. When your team collects funds, the impact is larger—and easier to transport!
Fund donations help us purchase perishable foods—milk, eggs, cheese and meat that are often requested by families and households.
We'll provide an online form here for enrolling your team in the Hunger Fighter Challenge when we get closer to the holiday season!
Ways to donate funds:
Host a Virtual Food Drive - Donations go further with a virtual drive! By utilizing the Food for People's wholesale purchasing power and eliminating barrel delivery and pick-up costs, a virtual food drive multiplies your giving. Hunger Fighter Teams can collect donations online! Customize your team page here: http://weblink.donorperfect.com/FoodForPeople/HungerFighter2021
Here's what you do:
- Click here and select the 'Create my Own Fundraising Page' to create your own virtual food drive.
- Set a goal, write a little bit about yourself and your efforts.
- Share your link to your friends, family, and more
Mail donations to: Food for People, PO Box 4922 Eureka, CA 95502. Please note your Hunger Fighter team name with all checks and financial donations.
We realize not everyone wants to make a financial donation.
Teams can drop off food donations Monday-Friday from 9am-4pm at our warehouse located at 716 W. Cedar St. in Eureka.
- Drive into the fenced lot and place your nonperishable donations in the bin labeled “nonperishable food donations” stationed out front.
- Food donations will be weighed and counted toward one community-wide Hunger Fighter total.
- If you’d like to track the weight of food collected by your team, please find a staff member to assist and write you a receipt.
Thanks for joining us in the Hunger Fighter Challenge!
If you have questions, need materials or information about Food for People, or anything at all, please don’t hesitate to contact us- we are here to support you.
- Email our Local Food Resources Coordinator at FoodDrives@foodforpeople.org, or
- Call (707) 445-3166 ext. 320
We look forward to working with you this year!
Downloadable Support Materials: