Food for People

The Food Bank for Humboldt County

Disaster CalFresh

Hot Foods

  • In response to California wildfires, 35 California counties (including Humboldt) have been approved for temporarily allowing CalFresh to be used to purchase hot, prepared foods at SNAP authorized retailers through November 22, 2020.

  • Please note that some retailers may need more time than others to make changes that will allow for sale of hot foods. Expect this to roll out toward the middle or later part of the final week of October 2020, depending on the retailer.

  • Please check with the retailer, before selecting hot foods, to make sure that they are officially ready to accept EBT payment for hot, prepared foods.


Benefit Replacement

  • A mass replacement of September CalFresh benefits has been approved for all recipients in the 95514 zip code in Humboldt (Blocksburg).

  • The approval was for 40% of households' September CalFresh benefits, including any emergency allotments they received on September 13th, 2020.

  • These replacement benefits were issued by batch no later than October 10th.

  • We will post updates as we receive further information. The State posts updates regarding CalFresh's response to the wildfires on


What if you're not getting CalFresh currently?

Our CalFresh Outreach staff are here to help with the application process, the eligibility process after your application has been submitted to the County, and questions/tips on reporting and recertifying in order to continue receiving benefits. Once you are receiving CalFresh, it is important to take all the necessary steps to make sure benefits continue for as long as you need them, and our staff are experts in helping households with this process.

  1. Call our CalFresh Outreach staff at (707) 499-6477 (text or call--this is a dedicated CalFresh Outreach mobile phone)

  2. Email our CalFresh Outreach staff at

  3. You can also call (707) 445-3166 extension 318 or 308. For Spanish language assistance, please use extension 318. (Please note that staff attend food bank activities all over the county and are not always at their desks, so the mobile phone number listed above in option #1 is best.)

  4. Fill out our online CalFresh Calback Form, and our staff will call or email you back.