CalFresh Mass Replacement of Benefits
- The State has been approved to issue a mass replacement of CalFresh benefits for specific zip codes in specific counties.
- In Humboldt, this applies only to zip codes 95570, 95571, 95555, 95554, 95511, and 95549 (Trinidad, Weott, Orick, Myers Flat, Alderpoint, and Kneeland areas)
- The mass replacement of benefits allows for food that was purchased with SNAP benefits that was destroyed in a household misfortune or disaster to be replaced.
- CalFresh households in the specified ZIP codes, within the approved counties, will receive the automated mass replacement by November 19, 2021. This replacement will include 35% of October 2021 regular CalFresh benefits and Emergency Allotments that were issued in October 2021.
- Typically a household must report the loss within 10 days and provide verification of the loss, however the current waiver allows households that have lost power or have been evacuated to replace destroyed food purchased with SNAP benefits much timelier and efficiently via an automated process without requiring the affected households to report a loss of food.
- You do NOT need to fill out a form for this particular mass replacement of October 2021 benefits, but if you experience a household misfortune that requires it in the future, the form is available at this link.
We will post updates as we receive further information. The State posts updates regarding CalFresh response to wildfires on https://www.cdss.ca.gov/inforesources/calfresh/disaster-calfresh, and it is possble to email the State with questions at DisasterCalFresh@dss.ca.gov.
What if you're not getting CalFresh currently?
Our CalFresh Outreach staff are here to help with the application process, the eligibility process after your application has been submitted to the County, and questions/tips on reporting and recertifying in order to continue receiving benefits. Once you are receiving CalFresh, it is important to take all the necessary steps to make sure benefits continue for as long as you need them, and our staff are experts in helping households with this process.
Call our CalFresh Outreach staff at (707) 499-6477 (text or call--this is a dedicated CalFresh Outreach mobile phone)
Email our CalFresh Outreach staff at CalFresh@foodforpeople.org
You can also call (707) 445-3166 extension 318 or 308. For Spanish language assistance, please use extension 318. (Please note that staff attend food bank activities all over the county and are not always at their desks, so the mobile phone number listed above in option #1 is best.)
Fill out our online CalFresh Calback Form, and our staff will call or email you back.
To apply on your own, visit https://benefitscal.com/ or call Humboldt County DHHS at 1-877-410-8809.
You can also click here to visit our CalFresh Help page.